6.21.2007

Discipline Factors

Yikes, no one likes to talk about this stuff, so bare with me! I give 3 hour workshops on this stuff, so I wil keep it short, ok?

Main thing, don't go over your head, when trouble comes, that's what I am there for. But, I do need you to keep the calm and control. Especially when I am up front, which is almost all the time, I am counting on you to keep it together.

Why do most kids misbehave? Because they are bored! So, our program is designed so they don't get bored. Yes, that means a change sometimes every 5 to 7 minutes! That's a packed program! I will go into details about the program set up in the next entry.

Your role as coach is to be a mentor, helper and friend. Your job is to do your best at the task you've been given for each program. You are also responsible to be on the lookout for any child that might need to be included, need help or any other safety issue that might come up.

A kid is being bad.... help! First, we do a warning (don't worry, I will go over this with the kids) then they will have a consequence if they do not obey. The consequences vary, and I will handle them appropriately. If a child gets to that point, I take care of it.

What do you do? You tell the child, "This is what you are doing wrong ______ and that goes against the rules. This is your warning." Then you redirect the child to the present activity as appropriate. If the behavior persists, you tell the child: "I warned you, and you are still not ________. We need to talk." Then you take the child away from the group, discuss the behavior, and if necessary get me.

We will not shame. One thing I do not tolerate is bargaining with kids or threatening them. You should not have to bribe a child to do what is expected of them and we will not make any child feel ashamed.

We wil discuss some scenarios and have question/answer time during orientation.

Nuk ka komente: